Monday, April 16, 2007

Week One Assignment 3

Barriers To CommunicationEnviromental: I know that time is a huge factor on completing a successful discussion. I can identify with time and space. I am usually two hours ahead of the counselors I need to talk to about school, so when I have the time they are not on the same schedule so they will not be available or if I need to come in and meet with them in person I am in another state making it impossible for a face to face meeting.Verbal: I am currently dealing with students turning words around and making them negative. Such as if I pull a few students out at a time to work with them as a small group, one will say you are working with me because you think I am stupid. I explain that she is not stupid, I just want to see how well they work with out distractions and answer any questions they may have about the assignment. Interpersonal: An interpersonal barrier that I can think of is one time I made a comment to a friend and she got really offended. I had no idea that what I said made her so mad until I would try and call her and she would not answer and avoid me. She finally talked to me and I was able to explain that I meant nothing bad when I said my comment and I was sorry she took it personally and too heart. Side note: The comment I told her was that she makes friends fast. This was after she met a girl for a day and became a brides maid in her wedding. Now if this was insensitive I need to change my communication skills and think more about what the other will think about what I am about to say. To minimize barriers I can learn to take others feelings into great consideration and talk to each person as their own individual instead of thinking that they will always react the same as everyone else.

No comments: