Thursday, April 26, 2007

Week 3 Phone Call

Last night I had the opportunity to talk to Kristina. We had set up the meeting a few days before hand and I was able to call her at our scheduled time. This was the first time that I had talked to someone who was not apart of my group, so it was nice to branch out a little and talk to someone else from the class. Our conversation began with choosing the roles. I had gone over the assignment and was prepared to take on either role. Kristina opted for the employee role. So I as the boss listened to her concern about wanting a higher pay raise rather than 4%.

This was our scenario:

Kristina went to me and told me that she felt like she deserved a higher pay raise rather than the regular 4%. She explained that for the past year she has been doing duties that go beyond her official job title. She has been acting as an officer manager with out the pay and official position. And she felt that it would be beneficial for the company to give her the pay she deserves instead of going out and hiring an official office manager.

As the boss I told her that I respected her for coming to me with her concerns over her upcoming raise. I went and looked over her file and determined that she was performing duties that were not officially assigned to her. I told her that I wanted a letter stating all of the duties that she was performing other than what her job required her too, and I would talk to my bosses about making her the official office manager. I would though for the time being give her the highest pay raise that I could give her of 6.5% as she continues to act as the unofficial office manager. Then with the letter, I would meet and discuss her promotion and higher pay increase with my bosses. We set up a meeting so we could go over everything that was said in our conversation and I would show her in writing my promise to give her the 6.5% pay increase. We ended on a good note and were able to come to a suitable compromise.

We jumped right into the role play. Kristina was really good about asking me all of the right questions. never being in a boss position before it took me a little bit to respond and answer how I felt a boss would to their employee. Over all I felt it was a good experience and rolled more smoothly on my end towards the middle and end of the conversation.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I talked to Kristina for last weeks role play. I had a great experience with her as well. She's very good at really jumping right into the role play!

PrettyTony31 said...

I didn't realize that doing things outside your job description was a bad thing. I though the more you take on and succeed at, the better evaluation one receives...

aprince22 said...

Yes, doing things other than your assigned job discription should end up as a great reward for you. But in her case she was not getting the right evaluations for her efforts. This is why she brought it to the attention of her manager.

Debra Davenport said...

Great blog so far, Amie!

Excellent telephone excercise!

Dr. D.